Avast is one of the popular yet free antivirus programmes available cross-platform for almost all Windows devices. Although it runs smoothly, sometimes Windows 10 causes problems with its background service, which is annoying.
Are you getting this “Avast background service not running” error repeatedly? Unable to find a fix?
Usually, this issue appears when you install an unofficial beta version of Avast antivirus. Well, to find the fix, you need to know some simple steps which will help you completely resolve the issue.
Before you jump towards the fixes, let me help you understand the reason behind the error message “AVAST BACKGROUND SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING” you get on WINDOWS 10.
What may be the reason behind this “AVAST BACKGROUND SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING” issue?
- An outdated version of Avast
- Presence of backdoor malware
- Conflicts with Windows Defender
- Misconfiguration in Firewall Policy
Why should you fix the error “Avast background service is not running”?
The Avast’s Antivirus and Security framework is primarily dependent upon its background service. It works behind the screen and catches any possible vulnerable files, viruses and programmes. It acts as a barrier for harmful malware and spyware programmes.
Now, when this protection is broken, your PC becomes vulnerable and unprotected. The Avast is no longer able to provide you with all-round security against those infiltrators because it needs to run in the background all the time.
Furthermore, as your PC is connected to the Internet, it is open to the frequent ransomware attacks and becomes potentially dangerous as data theft is emerging rapidly nowadays.
For all these concerns you must resolve the Avast background service is not running” on Windows 10 as quickly as possible.
Without taking much time, let’s delve into the solutions!
HOW TO FIX “Avast background service is not running windows 10”?
Here are some practical ways to stop the error message from appearing repeatedly.
Solution #1: Manually Starting the Avast Update Engine
Avast Antivirus updates itself in the background with the help of its Background Update Service. The service is stored in your PC as AvastEmUpdate.exe. Without this program, the Avast Antivirus becomes outdated as time goes by and thus creates errors similar to this “BACKGROUND SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING” on your Windows 10 pc.
To get the latest Avast Antivirus Updater setup, you can download the latest version of Avast Antivirus manually. Installing this will automatically install the AvastEmUpdate.exe service.
So, here are steps to run AvastEmUpdate.exe manually:
- On the desktop, navigate to “This Pc” or “My Computer” icon and double-click-open it.
- Now, move to the folder location “\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\”. It is the parent folder for the Avast Antivirus you installed.
- Then, find a file named AvastEmUpdate.exe, double-click on it.
- After a while, restart your system and check whether the error is resolved or not.
- You can run the AvastEmUpdate service the other way in Windows 10:
- From the Start Menu, select the “Settings” option.
- Then find the “App & features” label, click on it.
- On the right-hand side, look for Avast and enter inside. Now, select the modify option.
- You will now see a dialogue box asking for permission. Press on “Yes.”
Alternatively, press Win+R and paste the following line. Then, press Enter.
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe
After this process, the AvastEmUpdate service will start running. Then, your pre-installed Avast Antivirus will appear on the monitor screen; what all you need is to tap the update button. Wait until the update is over, reboot your pc.
Solution #2: Change Avast Startup type to Automatic
Often windows create issues with running apps on startup which hinders the normal auto-startup process of several application services.
So, you can change the startup type from Windows Services Management console directly.
To get rid of the BACKGROUND SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING issue you can modify the startup type of Avast application to Automatic.
How do you do this?
- First, you have to open the RUN box.
- For this press the Windows Key + R.
- There, write “services.msc” and hit the enter button.
Now, you will get the list of available Windows services. Find for “Avast Antivirus”. Double-click it to go to its properties.
Here, you have to modify the startup type to Automatic and tap on the Apply option.
Press Okay and restart your PC to see your issue resolved.
Solution #3: Update and Reinstall Your Avast Antivirus
When the Avast setup or its virus detection database goes out of date, it sets the doors open for infiltrators like trojan, spyware, malware.
These infiltrators, when infecting your PC files, they jumble up the system settings and affects your normal operations.
To overcome such an issue, you should update your Avast Antivirus, reinstall the setup and its database to the latest version.
Steps to upgrade your Avast Antivirus Security to the latest version:
- First, open the Avast Antivirus Dashboard.
- Then click on settings.
- Now, click on the Update button right next to the label “Program.”
The other way you can update the program is from the Windows 10 taskbar.
- From the taskbar, area right-click on the Avast icon and select update.
- Wait for some time. Your antivirus will be updated to the latest version.
- When your update is completed, give your PC a restart immediately.
Move on to the next fix if you find the instruction did not work for you.
Solution #4: Try Disabling the Avast Shield Control
When you face the error message “Background Service Not Running” repeatedly while you are on a work, the situation becomes frustrating, I understand. For this, you can try disabling the default Avast Shield Control for a temporary relief from the issue.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the Windows Taskbar area and choose the Avast icon. Right-click on it and find ‘Avast shields control’.
- Then, choose “Disable until the computer is restarted’ option.
- Tap Yes when prompted on the screen.
Now check whether your issue still persists or not.
The above steps I shared are all tried and tested by me before sharing. So, the steps assure a permanent solution for your “Avast background service is not running” error.
If the error message still pops up and bugs you while working with your chores, then it is better to uninstall the Avast Antivirus, perform a clean reset of your operating system and install an Avast alternative. You can get many such good Antivirus programs on the Internet, better to give them a try.